Sunday, February 21, 2010

A recent Good Humus newsletter

This Week on the Farm (from my perspective)

As I slipped into bed last night with the rain and wind whirling against the walls and the citrus trees rustling outside my door, a strong sense of serenity and gratefulness came over me. How lucky I am to be at Good Humus Farm with Jeff and Annie Main.

So, you are probably wondering who this is writing to you today. First off, my name is Katie. I was born and raised in Chattanooga, TN and by fate have wound up in California working for Jeff and Annie at the Davis Farmers Market. I actually fell in love with Davis the moment I saw the market. I told myself “Davis is where I’m going to school and the market is where I’m going to work.” From the day my parents dropped me off in Davis after driving across the country until now, I have had the privilege of working for the Mains at the farmers market. Without a doubt, my life in Davis would not be the same without them. But besides selling Good Humus vegetables one to two days a week, I am a student at the University of California Davis studying International Agricultural Development. I have a strong interest in creating an agricultural system that encourages new farmers and sustains the current ones, promotes more ecologically sound agricultural practices, and ensures that all people have access to good food. My passion for ag all started in the kitchen where my creativity and love for food has no limits. Food is truly amazing. I love everything about it: how it grows, how it tastes, and, most of all, how it connects people. After all, it was food that brought me to Davis, then to the market, and ultimately to the Good Humus stand.

As I’m now seeing my college days come to an end, I am trying to make the best of the relationships and experiences I have developed here, and that is what brings me to the farm today. Starting last week, I’m coming out on Fridays to help Jeff and Annie where needed in hope of both giving them more time to work on the house and also teaching me a few things about running a farm. While I have worked on a fair share of farms before, never have I understood the “behind the field” work that maintains the farm. And what better people to learn from than your CSA farmers? While I don’t know what the future holds for me, I do have a dream of being a farmer one day. Yes, that is a big responsibility to take on, but I’m doing what I can now to best prepare for whenever that day comes.

My first task of the day has been getting to write to you all- not so bad, aye? As the days go on, I’ll be filing recipes and other GH documents, doing seed inventories, preparing things for market, doing office work, and well just being an extra hand- on a farm something always comes up, so there’s no worry about keeping me busy. More than anything, I get the opportunity to witness a true partnership at work. Working at the farmers market, I only see one side, but being at the farm I’m beginning to see the whole cycle. The many steps it takes to get that bunch of carrots into the hands of the first customer is truly amazing. We all know it takes a lot, but to see it in action and comprehend it all is a whole different deal. Last Saturday morning at 5:45, as I stumbled into the barn lighted by the moon, there wedged between the cooler and the van was Jeff loading the boxes of vegetables that were picked, washed, and packed the day before by Ricardo, Francisco, Jose, Cuca, and Celia. Usually, I just pull those boxes out of the van never taking a moment to appreciate them, but now I see their faces, hands, and life-long dedication.

Speaking of packing boxes, I better get going. With the rains today, the guys got a day off so that means I get to pack your CSA boxes. In the weeks ahead, I look forward to the unwrapping the many “treasures” (a common term used on school visits) of Good Humus Farm and sharing with you what I find. Lastly, I just want to thank both Jeff and Annie and also all of you for bringing me into your partnership at this farm.

Best to you all, Katie Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment