Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cheers to the decade behind and ahead!

Well, another year and decade have come and gone. Lately, I’ve been troubled by the media hype on the terrible moments and decisions that have occurred during the past decade in our country, but I have decided to dismiss the negative hype and reverse my thinking. Now, I’m in a state of amazement over realizing what strides have been made, especially with food and agriculture. Just think what you knew ten years ago about the food system and then compare it to what you know now. For me it’s mind blowing how much I have learned. I’ve gone from a Kraft mac-n-cheese “cook” to a wannabe farmer who makes sauerkraut in her spare time. Of course, the past decade has just happened to be my most developmental and educational years of my life, but nonetheless I think similar changes around food have happened in our society.
The Mains at the Davis Farmers Market in 2001

Just this morning, for instance, on NPR Martha Stewart spoke about the connection between food, the environment, and our health and the importance of organic production. Ten years ago Martha Stewart was focused on fancy cakes and decorating dinner tables. While I don’t hale Martha as the queen of food, she is an icon for mainstream America and represents a cultural shift in awareness. Even more momentous is this: after more than half a century of decline in number of farmers, 2008 was he first year that the number of farmers increased! Small organic farms, farmers markets, CSA’s,… have increased tremendously and continue to. Today, college students can major in Sustainable Agriculture- in 2000 those words weren’t even spoken of in universities. Now, that’s worth toasting to!

I could write all day about the changes that have occurred for the better in our food system, and likewise I could list the many things that still need changing, but that’s not what I want to do. Instead, I want to leave you with optimism. Think what has improved in your life and community, and next time you’re discouraged by the huge hurdles that seem impassable, remember that change does happen- sometimes it’s slower than we would like, but little strides make a big difference.

On a final note, I want to commend the work of both the Mains and BluePrint Productions. The past decade has been huge for both- the very notion that there’s a documentary on preserving farms is in of itself amazing. But this next decade will be crucial for both crews: the Mains will see a shift in the ownership of their land as it’s put into an easement for permanent farming, and Chuck and David will finish and release The Last Crop. This means that not only do they need our support more than ever but also that we have lots to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment